Table of Contents
About Ivy League colleges
The Ivy League colleges include the eight most prestigious colleges in the US. Harvard University, which was established in 1636, is the number one university in the US News & World Report 2022 Ranking. Other than this one, the remaining seven colleges are also popular for their selection procedures and rules, academic quality, and excellent employment opportunities.
However, to get admission into these world-class universities, a student must meet certain requirements, both academic and holistic. One of these requirements includes specific TOEFL scores. Read on to learn about TOEFL and the scores required to get admission into an Ivy League University.
What is the TOEFL Exam?
The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is provided by ETS (Educational Testing Service), which is an English language assessment that tests the candidates on all key areas. That’s why each of the prestigious universities, including the Ivy League schools, consider this test score for the admission procedure for international students.
The most popular test is the TOEFL iBT (Internet-based test), which is available in three ways: at a test center, iBT Home Edition, and on paper.
- The test center option is available in more than 3,000 authorized TOEFL iBT test centers, and scheduling is available more than 60 times every year.
- The TOEFL iBT Home Edition is available globally 24*4 with an appointment within 24 hours after applying.
- The paper test (PBT) is available only in Colombia, India, Mexico, and the US. The speaking section will be taken on a computer at home within 3 days after the paper test is done at the testing center. It is available only two or three times a month, and you have to register two times, one for a written paper and another for a speaking test at home.
TOEFL exam pattern
The total duration of the test will be around 3 to 3.5 hours, along with a 10-minute break (for the paper test only). This test is divided into four sections to test the overall capability of the candidate in the English language.
|Section Name||Duration(in minutes)||Number of Questions||Type of Questions Asked|
|Reading||54-72||30-40||There are 3 to 4 RCs of 700 words, each with 10 questions.|
|Listening||41-57||28-39||There are 3 to 4 lectures with 6 questions each, and 2 to 3 conversations with 5 questions each.|
|Speaking||17||4 tasks||There will be one independent speaking task (speak your opinion) and three integrated speaking tasks (combining all classroom-level English skills).|
|Writing||50||2 tasks||There will be one independent writing task (write an essay on the given topic) and one integrated writing task (read ashort passage or listen to a short lecture, then write according to it).|
Minimum TOEFL scores required for Ivy League colleges
Each university on the Ivy League list has different minimum TOEFL score requirements, which are listed below:
|S.No||University Name||Minimum TOEFL Test Scores|
|1.||Harvard University, Cambridge||TOEFL iBT score of 100|
|2.||Yale University, New Haven||A TOEFL iBT score of 100 and a CBT score of 250 (with speaking and listening scores of at least 28).|
|3.||Princeton University, Princeton||A TOEFL iBT score of 27 in the speaking subsection.|
|4.||Cornell University, Ithaca||A TOEFL iBT score of 100 and a TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition score of 5.5 or above on the iTEP.|
|5.||Columbia University, New York||TOEFL iBT score of 105|
|6.||University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia||A TOEFL iBT score of 100, a CBT score of 250, and a PBT score of 600.|
|7.||Dartmouth College, Hanover||TOEFL iBT score of 100|
|8.||Brown University, Providence||A TOEFL iBT score of 100, and a PBT score of 600.|
What does the TOEFL score mean?
The candidate will receive a sectional score ranging from 0 to 30 and a total score ranging from 0 to 120, which is taken by the Ivy League colleges in the admissions procedure.
|Level of the Candidate/Section Name||Advanced Scores Range||High-Intermediate Scores Range||Low-Intermediate Scores Range||Below Low-Intermediate Scores Range|
How to get an Ivy League score on the TOEFL exam?
- Practice, practice, practice – Take as many practice tests as you can. This allows you to evaluate your current standing and how much practice you would need to score 100+.
- Learn about the test – It is crucial for candidates to understand the nuances of the TOEFL exam. They must know about the TOEFL syllabus, its pattern, how the exam is scored, and the cut-off for universities.
- Improve your vocabulary – Students must know a healthy mix of complex and easy words and their usage. It will help them convey their message better to the examiner.
- Take help from an expert – If you are struggling with certain aspects of the TOEFL exam, training under an expert can help you get your desired score.
- The Ivy League colleges have a total of eight universities in the US, including Harvard University.
- The TOEFL exam includes four sections to test the knowledge of the English language, which are reading, listening, speaking, and writing.
- The three types of TOEFL iBT options available are at a test center, at home, and on paper.
- Each of the eight universities has a certain minimum TOEFL score requirement.
- Each of the sections tests the candidates on a score range of 0 to 30, with a total score ranging from 0 to 120.
- You will get the TOEFL scores within 4 to 8 days, which you can send to a maximum of four universities.
The TOEFL is one of the best ways to showcase your English proficiency and is accepted by more than 10,000 universities in 200 countries. The TOEFL iBT test is one such test that requires students and working professionals to meet certain criteria, and if you prepare well, you will surely meet the Ivy League TOEFL requirements.
Should you have more queries regarding TOEFL or any other study abroad entrance exam, reach out to us or drop a comment below. We’d be happy to help!
Liked this article? Know more about TOEFL | 5 useful tips on how to prepare for TOEFL with detailed study plans
Question 1 – What is the minimum TOEFL score required?
Answer – The minimum TOEFL scores required for Ivy League and other US universities are somewhere between 80 and 100, along with the sectional requirements.
Question 2 – How much is the TOEFL exam fee?
Answer – In India, the TOEFL exam fee is $195, and in the US, it is $255.
Question 3- How do I register for TOEFL online?
Answer – You can register online or make an ETS account on the TOEFL official app.