Table of Contents
All about MBA from Canada without GMAT.
The advantages of obtaining an MBA degree are limitless, beginning with the requisites awarded in the workplace to continue the international acclaim of MBA graduates. Most colleges in Canada demand GMAT scores to become eligible for admission to an MBA program. Nevertheless, it is possible to do MBA in Canada without GMAT, depending on the college’s criteria and the aspirant’s qualifications.
The GMAT examination evaluates students’ quantitative, analytical, communication and writing aptitudes. While the GRE is also needed for graduate courses, the GMAT exam allows business schools to determine the most suitable candidates according to their scores.
Can you pursue MBA in Canada without GMAT?
Graduate students who wish to pursue a Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Canada can get admission to their desired university without GMAT test scores. Nevertheless, this alternative applies to students with additional qualifications that demonstrate exceptional educational and professional accomplishment, thus surpassing the requirement for the GMAT exam.
On the other hand, some colleges may need GRE scores or other entrance tests instead of the GMAT exams. Therefore, to become eligible for a GMAT waiver, students must fulfil other admission prerequisites for an MBA in Canada. Likewise, some primary admission provisions for applying for an MBA admission in Canada without a GMAT exam include the following:
- GRE scores.
- TOEFL/IELTS marks (primarily for global students).
- Minimum two years of job experience (depending on the bachelor’s degree term).
- A GPA of more than 3.0 (potential postgraduate or undergraduate degrees).
- A resume of your educational and professional knowledge (including unpaid or paid internships).
- Two or more letters of recommendation.
Understanding MBA requirements in Canada
A valid GMAT score is traditionally one of the primary prerequisites for an MBA in Canada. However, for those interested in an MBA in Canada without GMAT, some colleges offer GMAT waivers and ask for GRE (Graduate Record Examinations) scores as a substitute for MBA admission. While most colleges claim that the GMAT is the perfect way to understand an applicant’s qualifications, there are alternative pathways for those looking to bypass this requirement.
In addition, the lowest GMAT exam score needed and accepted by MBA colleges in Canada varies from 500 to 600. Nevertheless, the average GMAT score needed goes as high as 550. Some of Canada’s most reputed MBA colleges even need higher GMAT scores to accept only the most suitable candidates.
International applicants usually tend to register for college admissions as soon as possible, and their admission application process is typically extended and more complex than the residential student application. Besides the GRE or GMAT exam, international applicants must also establish language ability if English is not their native language.
Furthermore, the primary prerequisites for an MBA in Canada are generally the same for international applicants and Canadian citizens. While the MBA program is one of the most renowned and challenging to register for, Canadian colleges do not require extra prerequisites. For those interested in pursuing an MBA in Canada without GMAT, there are alternative admissions criteria available. Some of the most general provisions for an MBA in Canada comprise the following:
- Prior work experience.
- Entrance exams (GRE, GMAT, and others, depending on the college).
- A four-year undergraduate degree.
Below is the MBA admission procedure in Canada for international applicants and Canadian citizens:
- Bachelor’s degree: Students must present evidence of an undergraduate course in a corresponding or diverse domain, depending on the college’s distinctive prerequisites. The earlier acquired degree must be from a recognized educational institute.
- GMAT test scores: Most Canadian colleges need this entrance test. Considering MBA students’ competitiveness, obtaining a high GMAT score is required. The average GMAT for test-takers is 550-600.
- Work experience: Most Canadian MBA colleges require at least two years of job experience in the business domain, reflected in the applicant’s CV. However, for those interested in an MBA in Canada without GMAT, some colleges may place greater emphasis on work experience and background knowledge as alternative criteria for admission. The resume must effectively showcase the candidate’s qualifications in lieu of a GMAT score.
- IELTS/TOEFL: International applicants whose primary language is not English must present IELTS or TOEFL scores to verify language ability. In addition, depending on their admission application procedures, some colleges may need different test scores.
The average MBA admission score for the TOEFL exam in Canada is a minimum of 100, with 20 scores allotted for each section. Similarly, the average IELTS test score required for MBA admission in Canadian universities ranges from 6.5 – 7.0, with a minimum score of 6.0 for every test section. For those interested in an MBA in Canada without GMAT, there are alternative admissions criteria to consider. Other documents students must submit with their MBA application include:
- Academic records and a GPA of at least 3.0.
- Statement of purpose.
- Letters of recommendation (at least two).
- Financial statement.
- Student visa (if applicable).
- Most colleges in Canada that offer MBA courses can waive the GMAT exam requirement if the applicant’s qualifications fulfil.
- It is essential to know that the admissions board will pay attention to the other qualifications if the applicant cannot submit GMAT or GRE scores.
- A significant advantage will be if the applicant demonstrates outstanding academic accomplishment in their undergraduate or postgraduate degree.
Visit our website to learn more about MBA courses in Canada and related information related to the GMAT exam!
Question 1: Is GMAT necessary for MBA in Canada?
Answer: Most colleges in Canada and across the globe need GMAT scores to examine the efficiency and knowledge of applicants. Nevertheless, a few colleges in Canada do not need GMAT scores for admission into MBA courses.
Question 2: Can students get admission to an MBA program in Canada without work experience?
Answer: Yes, you can register for an MBA course in Canada without work experience if the college you are applying for permits you to do the same.
Question 3: Is GRE accepted instead of a GMAT score in Canada?
Answer: Universities that do not require a GMAT score may need proof of other exams like GRE or IELTS. However, there exams are not a replacement for the GMAT exam.