Table of Contents
- Universities waiving GMAT | An overview
- How are universities evaluating applicants without the GMAT?
- Universities waiving GMAT for 2023
- Parameters for GMAT waiver in the USA
- Key takeaways
Universities waiving GMAT | An overview
The GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) is a standardized test commonly required during the application process for graduate business programs. However, an exciting development has emerged for aspiring students. Many universities have decided to waive the GMAT requirement for 2023. It is a great initiation that opens doors of opportunity for individuals seeking to join esteemed graduate programs, regardless of their performance on standardized tests.
In this blog, we’ll delve into the implications of universities waiving the GMAT requirement for 2023. We’ll explore its impact on prospective students and evaluate alternative parameters for admission evaluation.
How are universities evaluating applicants without the GMAT?
Many universities have implemented other ways of evaluating applicants without the GMAT. Some universities waiving GMAT ask additional essay questions or interviews to assess students’ critical thinking and communication skills.
Other universities focus on application aspects, such as academic transcripts and work experience. This permits admissions committees to evaluate a student’s potential for success based on a broader range of factors. Hence, a strong SOP or LOR is your best companion if you are choosing to apply to these universities.
Universities waiving GMAT for 2023
With many universities waiving GMAT requirement for 2023, it can be challenging for prospective students to track which schools are opting for this change.
We have compiled a list of universities waiving GMAT requirement and highlighted some reputed universities that are leading the way in implementing this change.
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California in Los Angeles will offer MBA programs without requiring a GMAT score. Students must show evidence of ten years of quantitative and logical reasoning skills and professional work experience.
The university is waiving GMAT for MBA programs where students should meet at least one of the following criteria-
- Advanced degree and a 3.00 GPA or higher in the advanced degree curriculum.
- More than two years of professional work experience and a 3.50 GPA or higher in an undergraduate program (total of 60 hours).
- More than eight years of professional work experience and a 3.25 GPA or higher in an undergraduate program (total of 60 hours).
- More than 12 years of professional experience.
University of Utah
Those applying for an executive MBA program can be eligible for a GMAT waiver based on their academic performance and job experience. Applicants will also be asked to provide a resume for assessment.
University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Applicants seeking a GMAT waiver must meet the requirements of at least one of the following options-
- Candidates must have three years of professional or military experience and a GPA of 3 or higher in undergraduate or graduate programs.
- Candidates must have ten years of professional or military experience and be capable of showing leadership, problem-solving skills, and analytical thinking.
- Candidates should have a doctoral degree with a minimum GPA score of 3.
Florida State University
Florida State University is one of the universities waiving the GMAT for 2023. It offers a conditional waiver on the GMAT for MBA programs where the candidate should meet one of the following criteria-
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.4 and a 3.2 upper division GPA are required in a business major from Florida State University.
- Minimum eight years of professional work experience and minimum GPA score of 3 in the undergraduate course.
- A Master’s, J.D., M.D., or Ph.D. degree with a minimum GPA of 3 is required.
- LSAT score of 160 or higher and minimum GPA score of 3 in undergraduate courses.
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is heading the list of universities waiving GMAT. It offers a GMAT waiver on MBA and Master of Science degrees, where students should meet the following criteria-
For MBA and Master of Science degrees (any one of the following)-
- Students should have an undergraduate degree with (any one of the following)
- 3.2 GPA score and two years of professional work experience.
- 3 GPA score and five years of professional work experience.
- 3 GPA score and a minimum grade of “B” in two quantitative college-level courses.
- Have a bachelor’s degree from an AACSB or ABET-accredited institution with a minimum GPA of 3.
- Should hold a graduate degree with a minimum GPA score of 3.
For MSc in Professional Accounting
- GPA of 3.00 or higher in all courses, including repeats.
- Minimum GPA of 3.00 in all transfer work, including repeats.
- Minimum GPA of 3.00 in all accounting courses, including BUS ADM 450.
University of Louisville
The University of Louisville is a part of the universities waiving GMAT for 2023 and gives GMAT waivers for their MBA and MSBA programs. Candidates should meet one of the following criteria:-
- Should hold a master’s degree or degrees such as MD, DMD, Ph.D., JD, EDD, PHARM D, and more.
- Minimum five years of professional managerial work experience, an undergraduate degree with a minimum of 30% quantitative courses, and an average grade of B in such classes.
Parameters for GMAT waiver in the USA
Candidates who are applying for universities waiving GMAT can consider the parameters listed below to improve their chances of selection-
Students who want to apply for admission to graduate programs at universities in the USA should have a GPA of 3 on a four scale or higher will be considered.
Letter of recommendation
GMAT scores will substitute academic and professional LoRs for students applying to graduate programs at several US universities waiving GMAT exam.
Having professional work experience increases your chances of being accepted for admission. Universities waiving GMAT favor students with considerable work experience and demand them to submit their CVs.
Statement of purpose
Students submitting the SOP should include their academic potential, life goals, and significant accomplishments, which will assist them in securing admission without the need for a GMAT score.
- Many universities are waiving the GMAT requirement for 2023 to provide a level playing field for all candidates.
- Admissions committees use other ways of evaluating applicants, such as additional essay questions or interviews.
- Even if the GMAT requirement is waived, students may still need to meet other conditions, such as minimum GPA or work experience requirements.
- All the universities waiving GMAT have different criteria for admission, which should be kept in mind.
- Although some universities provide GMAT waivers for admission, it is suggested that students take the exam because it will enhance their confidence in applying to universities requiring standardized test scores.
We understand how challenging it can be when applying to graduate business programs. Still, universities waiving the GMAT requirement for 2023 present applicants with a unique opportunity to demonstrate their strengths and stand out. Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about the study abroad entrance exams or need assistance with the application process.
Like this blog? Read also: GMAT exam dates 2023 | All you need to know
Q1: Does Stanford University waive GMAT scores for admission to MBA programs?
Answer: No, to get admission to MBA programs at Stanford University, candidates must take the GMAT exam and score good marks.
Q2: Is an interview mandatory for admission?
Answer: Some universities waiving GMAT for admission may conduct interviews to select the best candidate suitable for admission.
Q3: Will students who do not submit GMAT scores be disadvantaged in the admissions process?
Answer: Not necessarily. Admissions committees will evaluate applicants based on various factors, including academic transcripts, work experience, essays, and recommendations.