Table of Contents
- PTE reading | Here’s everything you should know!
- PTE exam pattern
- PTE reading | Types of questions
- PTE reading | Top 7 tips and tricks for acing the section
- PTE reading | Fill in the blanks tips
- PTE reading | Tips for MCQ Single answer and multiple answers
- PTE reading | Tips for re-order paragraphs
- Key takeaways
PTE reading | Here’s everything you should know!
Pearson Test of English Academic is an English test that is an admission criterion in many universities for non-native English speakers aspiring to study and pursue overseas education. Pearson PLC group conducts the PTE exam, focusing on everyday English usage and testing students’ ability to understand English language proficiency. This article will share insightful tips on clearing the PTE exam with a high score.
PTE exam pattern
- PTE Academic is a two-hour test that consists of four sections- reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- It assesses real-life English with 20 different question types, from multiple-choice questions to essay writing.
- Speaking and writing tests consist of seven question types that last from 54 min to 67 min. The English you hear in an academic environment is the testing factor of this section.
- The reading section has five different question types that assess the ability to read academic English for 29-30 min.
- The listening section contains eight question types for 30-43 min that tests the listening skill through audio and video clips.
PTE reading | Types of questions
The reading section consists of the below four types of questions:
- PTE Reading fill in the blanks (You can drag words from the box and fill in the gaps when the text appears on the screen)
- PTE Multiple choice and multiple answer type questions (You can select more than one response after reading the text depending on the content and tone)
- Re-order paragraphs (You should put the boxes in the appropriate order by choosing the several text boxes from the screen)
- PTE Multiple choice and single answer type questions (Prompt length is generally up to 300 words, and you should answer a multiple choice question on the content or tone of the text by selecting a suitable response)
PTE reading | Top 7 tips and tricks for acing the section
1. Keep track of your time
Try to solve the questions within 2 minutes. Highlight the keywords in your memory and pick your answers. Get a general idea about the context, keep track of words and choose the appropriate word while filling in the blanks.
2. Read the question twice and fill correctly
PTE exam uses a drag-and-drop interface, and you should drag the correct answer and drop it in the correct blank. Take care of the technicality, and do not rush to fill in the answers. Recheck your answers and check if the words are appropriate before choosing the next button because accuracy is as important as time management.
3. Use grammar
Often, from the reading passage, you can judge the suitable response based on the tenses and collocation of words. Using your grammar knowledge can help you answer fast and saves time. Learn subject-verb-object predicates, tenses, use of articles, countable and uncountable nouns, and word forms to manage time and score better.
4. Improve your vocabulary
Most of the PTE reading exam topics are academic, and you may encounter familiar and unfamiliar words. Try to improve your vocabulary by learning synonyms and new words. When you read the text on the screen, if you come across unknown words, try to derive meaning from the context and attempt the questions.
5. Practice skimming and scanning approach
Focusing on significant aspects of the text can help you with time management, and you can achieve it by a rapid reading method. By skimming and scanning the text on the screen, you can get an overview of the question and absorb only the information appropriate to the situation. Practice this method while self-study, and apply the same technique during your PTE reading exam.
6. Learn the elimination technique
Ruling out the possible wrong answers gives you extra time but try this method when you are unaware of the correct answer.
Excessive practice sessions can aid you with PTE preparation and help you score high in your PTE reading section. You can use online PTE reading practice tests, study materials, or question banks.
PTE reading | Fill in the blanks tips
- Answer all the questions, as PTE Academic reading fill-in-the-blanks part does not have a negative marking system.
- Connect the missing word with the parts of speech before and after the blank.
- Text on the screen may have a synonym to your answer in the blank. Hence, concentrate on the question and the focus keywords that can guide you toward the appropriate solution.
PTE reading | Tips for MCQ Single answer and multiple answers
- Be mindful while answering because the MCQ single answer does not have a negative marking, whereas the MCQ multiple answer type has negative marking criteria.
- Narrow down your options using the elimination rule to save time and proceed further.
- Always read the question before you start answering them in your PTE reading.
PTE reading | Tips for re-order paragraphs
- Use the skimming and scanning methods to get the overall idea of the paragraph.
- Follow this thumb rule- sentences beginning with pronouns can never be your first sentence.
- PTE Academic is a two-hour test for students aspiring for overseas education and immigration purposes.
- PTE Exam tests candidates’ understanding of English language proficiency.
- PTE Reading section has four categories, where you should focus on the questions on the screen and answer accordingly.
- Practice skimming and scanning methodology, improve vocabulary, follow elimination rules, and practice thoroughly with online and offline resources to ace PTE reading.
Was this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments below. Click here to reach out to us for more information about PTE. We would be happy to assist you with your queries!
Liked this blog? Then read: How to score 170 in GRE Math | Syllabus, tips, and more!
Q1. How many times can I write PTE Academic exam?
Answer – The conducting body has not given details on the number of times one can attend the exam. The only rule is candidates are allowed to take the next exam with a gap of 5 days.
Q2. Is the PTE reading section tough to score?
Answer – Many students lose their scores in the PTE reading section, but you can improve your score if you follow the seven steps of this article.
Q3. Can I take PTE Academic online?
Answer – Yes, you can but check the list of universities that accept PTE online scores. Currently, PTE online is invalid for visa applications.