Table of Contents
- Understanding TOEFL scores
- Universities accepting TOEFL scores of 80
- Universities accepting TOEFL score of 90
- Universities accepting TOEFL score of 75
- List of universities TOEFL accepting universities
- General considerations
- TOEFL accepting universities | Postgraduate courses
- Application process
- TOEFL preparation
- TOEFL score distribution in top universities
- Course-wise TOEFL score requirements
- Key takeaways
As an international student, proving your English proficiency is crucial in your journey to studying in an English-speaking country. If Ireland has captured your interest with its renowned world-class education and breathtaking landscapes, you’ll be pleased to know that the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is widely accepted there. This article provides a comprehensive list of TOEFL accepting universities in Ireland, along with the score requirements.
In 2022, Ireland attracted over 10,000 international students hailing from more than 120 countries. Proficiency in English is a fundamental requirement for non-native English speakers aspiring to study in Ireland, and the TOEFL is one of the recognized tests to demonstrate this proficiency.
Understanding TOEFL scores
TOEFL scores range from 0 to 120, with each of the four sections (reading, listening, speaking, and writing) scoring up to 30 points. Universities often require a specific minimum TOEFL score for admission. These requirements vary depending on the course and the institution. Generally, the higher the score, the more opportunities are available to the candidate.
Universities accepting TOEFL scores of 80
Several Irish universities are accepting TOEFL scores of 80 and above for certain programs. Some of these universities are:
● University College Cork (UCC): UCC is one of Ireland’s leading research-intensive universities and accepts a TOEFL score of 80 and above for its undergraduate programs.
● Dublin City University (DCU): Known for its commitment to innovation and enterprise, DCU is also one of TOEFL accepting universities with a score of 80 and above for some of its undergraduate courses.
Universities accepting TOEFL score of 90
For those who’ve achieved a score of 90 and above on the TOEFL, here are a few universities that welcome applications-
● University College Dublin (UCD): UCD is Ireland’s largest university and accepts a TOEFL scores of 90 and above for its undergraduate courses.
● Trinity College Dublin (TCD): As Ireland’s top-ranked university, TCD requires a TOEFL scores of 90 and above for most of its programs.
Universities accepting TOEFL score of 75
Though many Irish universities have higher TOEFL score requirements, some institutions and programs do accept a score of 75. Here are two of them-
● Technological University Dublin (TU Dublin): TU Dublin, a pioneering university, allows some of its programs with a TOEFL score of 75.
● University of Limerick (UL): Known for its innovative programs and active campus life, UL accepts a TOEFL score of 75 for some of its undergraduate courses.
List of universities TOEFL accepting universities
While many universities in Ireland accept various English proficiency tests like IELTS, PTE, and Cambridge English, some programs specifically prefer TOEFL scores. Here’s a list of these universities-
● Griffith College Dublin (GCD): GCD, one of the largest independent colleges in Ireland, primarily requires TOEFL scores for its programs.
● IBAT College Dublin: This institute favors TOEFL scores for its array of professional business courses.
While the TOEFL score plays a significant role, universities also consider other factors such as academic records, letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, and extracurricular activities. Additionally, each university maintains a different policy about accepting TOEFL scores that are more than two years old. Always verify this information from the corresponding TOEFL accepting universities’ official websites or contact their admissions department for the most accurate details.
TOEFL accepting universities | Postgraduate courses
While we’ve focused on undergraduate courses, it’s important to note that many Irish TOEFL accepting universities also accept TOEFL scores for their postgraduate courses. The score requirements might be higher in some cases. Some notable universities in this category include-
● National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG): NUIG, known for its leading research in Science and Engineering accepts a TOEFL score of 88 for its postgraduate courses.
● Maynooth University: A distinguished university with a student-centered learning approach, Maynooth University requires a minimum TOEFL score of 92 for its postgraduate programs.
Once you have your TOEFL scores, applying to these TOEFL accepting universities is relatively straightforward. Most universities allow online applications where you can submit your academic records, TOEFL scores, and other necessary documents.
Before starting the application process, ensure to-
- Check the specific course requirements on the university’s website
- Verify if there are any additional exams required (such as GMAT for Business programs)
- Prepare your personal statement or motivation letter
- Get your academic transcripts and letters of recommendation ready
- Ensure your TOEFL scores are still valid
While knowing the universities and their TOEFL requirements is essential, it’s equally crucial to prepare effectively for the exam. Here are some general tips-
- Practice with official TOEFL materials and sample papers.
- Focus on improving all four language skills (reading, writing, listening, and speaking).
- Familiarize yourself with the test format and question types.
- Work on time management skills, as the test has strict time limits.
TOEFL score distribution in top universities
A deeper look at the TOEFL score distribution can provide an idea of the average score requirements at the top universities in Ireland.
|University||Minimum TOEFL Score Requirement||Average TOEFL Score of Accepted Students|
|Trinity College Dublin (TCD)||90||100|
|University College Dublin (UCD)||90||98|
|University College Cork (UCC)||80||92|
|National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG)||88||95|
|Dublin City University (DCU)||80||90|
These scores represent the average distribution and are indicative. However, they underline the competitiveness of these universities and emphasize the need for good preparation for the TOEFL exam.
Course-wise TOEFL score requirements
Different courses might have different TOEFL score requirements, even within the same University.
|University||Course||Minimum TOEFL Score Requirement|
|Trinity College Dublin (TCD)||Bachelor’s in Computer Science||100|
|University College Dublin (UCD)||Bachelor’s in Business and Law||90|
|National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG)||Master’s in Data Science||92|
|Dublin City University (DCU)||Master’s in International Relations||90|
This highlights the importance of checking the specific course requirements on the university’s website. Some highly competitive courses may require higher TOEFL scores.
- Numerous universities in Ireland accept TOEFL scores, with requirements ranging from 75 to 90 depending on the university and course.
- Some institutions such as Griffith College Dublin and IBAT College Dublin feature in the list of TOEFL accepting universities.
- Besides undergraduate courses, TOEFL scores are also accepted for many postgraduate programs. The required score might be higher in these cases.
We hope our blog helped you gain a better understanding of popular Irish TOEFL accepting universities and their TOEFL requirements. If you require further help with your test preparation then feel free to reach out to us!
Liked this article? Know more about the top differences between IELTS vs TOEFL | Which is easier?
Q1. Are there any exemptions from submitting TOEFL scores for international students?
Answer: Some universities in Ireland may grant exemptions from submitting TOEFL scores if applicants meet certain criteria. Exemptions are often given to students who have completed previous education in English-speaking countries or have studied English as their primary language for a specified period.
Q2. Can I apply to an Irish university with other English language proficiency tests instead of TOEFL?
Answer: Yes, some universities in Ireland may accept other English language proficiency tests, such as IELTS or Cambridge English exams, in addition to TOEFL scores.
Q3. Is there any TOEFL score validity period for university applications in Ireland?
Answer: TOEFL scores are valid for two years from the test date. If you took the test more than two years ago, you may need to retake it to meet the university’s admission requirements.