Table of Contents
IELTS requirement for Ryerson University | Why study at Ryerson?
Don’t get confused when you search for Ryerson University on the internet and a different name shows up in the search results. The name was changed to Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) in 2022. Established in 1948 in Canada, the university ranks 933 on the Global Ranking of USN-2022. The campus is situated on Victoria Street in Toronto, Canada. Additionally, the university provides more than 100 types of courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. As per the international students’ admission requirements, you need to fulfill the IELTS requirement for Ryerson University. Since it varies with the level of study and course, here’s all you need to know!
An overview of the IELTS exam
IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is the test that is being conducted globally for international students and working people who wish to move to the UK, Australia, New Zealand, the US, and Canada. This test is a computer-based test (you can also choose the paper-based test) and examines your reading, writing, listening, and speaking in English.
You can take this test sitting at home or choose a test center in your country. In order to be eligible to apply to the university, you need to fulfill the IELTS requirement for Ryerson University. The score you get has to be submitted to Ryerson University as soon as possible through the test center.
IELTS requirement for Ryerson University
Ryerson University undergraduate admission requirements for international students have different IELTS scores for each program. Some popular courses are-
|For engineering and all science programs other than Computer Science and Architectural Science||6.5|
|For Computer Science and Architectural Science as well as other programs||6.5|
The IELTS requirement for Ryerson University postgraduate courses is an overall score of 7.0 with no band score below 6.5. However, it may vary with the program. Some of these are-
|Program type||IELTS score|
|Computer Networks (MASc, MEng), and Master of Engineering Innovation and Entrepreneurship (MEIE)||6.5|
|Communication and Culture (MA, PhD), Management (PhD), Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Science in Management (MScM), and Accounting (PMDip)||7.5|
IELTS requirement for Ryerson University | TMU International College
There are two ways to get into the TMUIC: direct entry and integrated entry.
- Direct entry means that you have met the predetermined academic requirements and, therefore will be eligible for UTP Stage II. It includes a non-credit support course called Introduction to Our Learning Community (ILC101), and the full program will be completed in three terms.
- The integrated entry means that you have met the predetermined academic requirements, and you can start the UTP Stage II. In addition to ILC101, you will have access to two academic courses and two integrated tutorials that will help you complete your course in the first term, for a total of three terms.
|Type of entry||IELTS score|
|Direct Entry||6 with minimum 5.5 in reading and writing, and no band lower than 5|
|Integrated Entry||5 with no band lower than 4.5|
Other English proficiency exams
In case you are unable to fulfill the IELTS requirement for Ryerson University, you may be able to provide them with alternate test scores. These exams include-
|English proficiency exam||Engineering programs||Other programs|
|Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)||60||70|
|Cambridge Assessment English||180 and above||180 and above|
|Duolingo||115 (winter 2023)|
120 (effective spring 2023)
|115 (winter 2023)|
120 (effective spring 2023)
- Ryerson University (now called Toronto Metropolitan University) is one of the oldest universities in Canada and provides access to different graduate and undergraduate courses.
- The IELTS exam is one such requirement for taking admission at Ryerson University, and this will test the candidate at four levels of English, which are reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
- The IELTS requirement for Ryerson University graduate courses is 6.5, with 7 being a general requirement.
- The minimum IELTS requirement for undergraduate courses at Ryerson University is 6.5.
- The IELTS requirement for Ryerson University international college is 5 for direct entry and 4.5 for integrated entry.
- The IELTS scores range from 1 to 9, with 9 for the best-performing candidate and 1 for the poorest-performing candidate.
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog. In case of any queries, reach out to us or drop a comment below!
Liked this blog? Read next: Which are the IELTS 7 band universities in Canada?
Q1. What is the validity of the IELTS exam?
Answer- The IELTS exam is valid for 2 years from the date of the test.
Q2. What is the total cost of IELTS?
Answer- The IELTS total cost in India is ₹15,000, and in the US, it ranges from $245 to $255.
Q3. Is Ryerson University welcoming to international students?
Answer- Yes, Ryerson University is welcoming to international students. The university has a diverse student body, with students from over 146 countries. Ryerson offers a range of programs and services to support international students during their studies, such as orientation programs, academic advising, and immigration advising.